The Spiritual Journey and Seven Stages of Spiritual Development
The spiritual journey is a transformational process that takes us through seven stages of our spiritual development. The path we take is built into us, in our expanding minds, hearts, and energy system. It’s an integral aspect of our desire to be alive – to live fully and grow, to expand in fulfilling ways and make a positive difference in the world.
The spiritual journey reveals the fullness of our human potential.
Essentially, the spiritual journey takes us from fear, separation, and limitation to love, connectedness, and expansion. For life coaches, understanding these stages and developing the ability to help clients to move through them with ease has tremendous value. When you understand where the people you serve are on the journey, you can relate precisely to their needs and desires, which may be very different from yours.
Interest in the Spiritual Journey and Stages of Development
We’ve had a deep interest in the spiritual journey for more than three decades. Over time, we recognized seven stages of spiritual development we all pass through along the way. This map of the path to wholeness is the result of extensive research and understanding of the human energy system, along with a wide range of experience with ourselves, our clients, and students. The seven steps or stages roughly correspond to seven spiritual activations that transform our perspectives on who we are, why we are here, and what is possible.
As we evolve, our perspectives evolve, so we can think and process information about our reality more expansively and inclusively. We now understand the focus of these stages as a shift in our experience of reality we call the “Ultimate Paradigm Shift.”
The Nature of the Spiritual Journey
We begin the first two stages of the journey with our feet firmly planted on the physical plane, viewing ourselves primarily as limited physical beings. Our consciousness is ruled largely by fear, which makes us easy targets for being controlled by others. Many people in these early stages view themselves as victims of circumstances that are beyond their control.
As we evolve, our “world” expands, and we glimpse beyond the material world into the realms of the human soul. Fear recedes and love blooms.
Spiritually, each of us is challenged to open to the Infinite, along with more joy and aliveness.
The transformation, then, is a redefinition of ourselves from limited physical beings who are victims of external forces to magnificent spiritual beings who are creators of the lives we were born to live.
Holistic Life Coaching and the Spiritual Journey
Coaching clients to progress with greater ease on the spiritual journey is powerful. If you are a life coach, imagine the tremendous benefits you can offer to clients. When you understand precisely where clients are on the journey, you can pinpoint the challenges and opportunities that are inevitably playing out in their daily lives. This helps them to progress more quickly and receive exponentially better results.
Knowledge of the seven stages of spiritual development and their impact on your life may be your most practical tool on the spiritual path. Once you understand the sequence, you can track your development step-by-step and bring deeper meaning to the events of your life, along with those you serve. You can also avoid the pitfalls that prevent people from evolving, and manifest the life you deeply desire.
The Seven Stages of Spiritual Development
As we evolve, our minds develop and our souls become more and more present in our lives. In the first two stages of spiritual development, people function largely on auto pilot, based on programming in the unconscious mind. This state is characterized by a lack of self-awareness, along with a high degree of fear and a narrow range of thinking. The result is a tendency to follow the crowd and play it safe.
An Overview of the Seven Stages
1. Recognition: From a place of lack of self awareness, something wakes up and we recognize that we have some choices. We are going with the crowd, but we are starting to awaken. The mind is becoming more active and new possibilities are emerging.
2. Breaking Loose (Renunciation): Now we recognize the opportunity to free ourselves from the herd and jump over the fence to freedom. This takes courage. We have to sacrifice the perceived safety of the crowd to open to more individual opportunities. As we prepare to take charge, fear starts to lose its hold.
3. Claiming Our Power: This is where it starts to get interesting. Now we get our first taste of freedom as we claim our right to live the lives we were born to live. The mind is expanding further now as we explore new possibilities. At this point, we enjoy the benefits of independence. Free from the herd, people often do uncharacteristically different things at this stage. They may start to dress differently, travel, change jobs, develop new interests, and change behaviors.
4. Embracing Our Greatness: Exploring freedom leads to a deeper exploration of who we are. This is when people begin to experience soul searching and recognition that the truth lies within, in the power of our hearts and souls. It’s the time when we bridge the gap between the restrictions of the physical plane and expansiveness of the spiritual plane. We are preparing to make the ultimate paradigm shift into a new way of being in the world, but don’t know where we are going.
5. Expressing Our Uniqueness (Sovereignty): As we embrace ourselves as spiritual beings, we rise a new level now, onto the spiritual plane. Now we are guided by the truth in our hearts. This stimulates a desire to express our deeper purpose and share our greatness with the world.
6. Integrating Our Roles as Creators: Our integration of this creative reality includes mastering our thinking and ways of being on the spiritual plane. Becoming more aware of the big picture now, we recognize how our actions can have a positive impact on larger numbers of people.
Love blossoms and fear recedes with the recognition that everyone has infinite possibilities and the supply of the good we seek knows no limit.
7. Transcendence: Now we complete the process of becoming fully functional as creators of the lives we were born to live. We are highly aware now that we create from the inside out with our minds and our hearts. We know how manifestation works and how our thoughts and feelings are responsible for the results we are getting in our lives. We are learning to live in harmony with the laws of the universe and reaping the rewards of our efforts on the journey.
More Notes on the Stages of our Spiritual Development
The first two stages of our spiritual development (Recognition and Breaking Loose) could be viewed as preliminary. Our personal transformation really begins when we free of the hold of the herd with the completion of the second activation. At this stage, we recognize the need to think for ourselves and release the grips of those who seek to control our lives. Having the courage to free ourselves from these ties provides us with the momentum we need to make the ultimate paradigm shift. Then we can move forward and become creators of the lives we were born to live.
Awakenings Institute’s unique Holistic Coaching and Healing Certification Program includes in-depth teaching of the stages of development. To learn more about how you can participate, CLICK HERE.
More articles that relate to the spiritual journey and stages of spiritual development: